Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Green Beans for the Lady

I hate peas and green beans. Maybe it's the (generally) mushy texture, I don't know, but these two veggies seldom (meaning maybe twice in my life) cross my lips.

When talking to my friend Nichole the other day, she told me she had a green bean casserole that would "knock my socks off".

Huh.

Now, I know there are a million and one ways to make green beans more palatable, but those generally include the ever popular Cream of Mushroom soup, and while I am quite the fan of mushrooms, condensed soup does not make an already undesirable vegetable edible, at least not for this Momma.

I decided to give it a try though, (mostly because if I am going to constantly tell my kids they need to try foods with an open mind, I should probably put my money where my mouth is) and bought some beans at the market this weekend. I made it today, and lo and behold...it was good.

I'm proud to say, I even ate seconds!

Nichole's Green Bean Casserole

1 cup chopped onion

2 tbsp butter

2 tbsp all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)

1 cup milk

¾ cup cheddar cheese

½ cup sour cream

1 tblsp white sugar (I omitted)

½ tsp salt

1 lb fresh cut green beans

1 cup french fried onions (add lots!)

1 cup bread crumbs (or crushed butter crackers) Watch out for high fructose corn syrup though!


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Boil fresh green beans till tender (10-15 minutes).

Place green beans in a 9x13 baking dish.

Saute onions with butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until translucent. Add flour and stir to coat flour.

Gradually add milk and bring to a boil. Add cheese, sour cream, sugar, and salt. Cook till thickened and cheese is melted.

Pour mixture over green beans and top with fried onions and bread crumbs.

Bake for 25-20 minutes.




1 comment:

  1. ok I can't take full credit, I did find it on all recipes....but I tweaked it just a little;) And it is so super delicious, I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete